Students and teachers have a 45-minute lunch break. Students eat and play at specific times depending on their grade level (see the Bell Schedule for details).
- Kindergarteners generally eat separately, in the Multipurpose Room and play afterwards.
- Students in grades 1-5 eat for approximately 20-25 minutes and play for the remainder.
Students in grades TK, K, and 1 eat inside, while those in grades 2,3,4 and 5 eat outside. There are shade structures in place over the outdoor lunch tables.
There is a separate lunch schedule for rainy days that allows all students to eat inside. On rainy days, teachers have a 30-minute lunch and supervise recreation time for their students in their classroom for 15 minutes.
We hope to be as thoughtful about how we feed our students bodies, as we are with their minds. Castro supports healthy choices for lunch and snacks. Whenever possible, families are encouraged to provide students with fruits, vegtables, whole grains and other nutritious foods as opposed to processed foods. Sodas, chips, candy and other junk foods and are not allowed at school.
- Students may bring their lunch from home or purchase hot lunch through the district’s food service program.
- Due to the large number of students, limited eating space, and the short lunch period (20 minutes), parents cannot join their child for lunch on campus. Parents wishing to eat lunch with their child are welcome to sign their child out and leave campus for lunch
- Students may bring snacks to eat during morning recess time. Students who participate in the breakfast and lunch program may eat breakfast during the “Second Chance” breakfast, served during morning recesses.
- No food is allowed on the playground.
Full or reduced price meals can be paid online. For 2012-13, full price meals cost $3.50 for lunch and $2.00 for breakfast (reduced price is $0.40 for lunch and $0.30 for breakfast). You must pay in advance (online, check, or cash) or at the time of purchase. No credit will be extended. You can also add money to your lunch account anytime online (there is a 3% fee for this service).
If you have any questions, call Sophia Zalot at: 650.903.6965
Free and Reduced-Priced Lunch
Any student whose family income is at or below the current eligibility scale may receive a free or reduced-priced breakfast and lunch by completing an application form, these forms are available in the school office, or you can apply online following the district's instructions (PDF).
Note: Your eligibility determination will not be immediate. Nutrition services may take up to 10 days to process your application once we receive all of the needed information. You are responsible for your child's meals at full price until your application is processed or otherwise advised. Please apply early to avoid unnecessary charges.